Academic Integrity and Mathematical Formulas

I reviewed the ‘Academic Integrity’ requirement that is covered in the ‘Course Overview’ section in Canvas. When it comes to creating programs that utilize mathematical formulas (such as temperature, tip calculation methods, etc.) in practice exercises or class assignments, is it not permitted to use external resources not related to Python to find the mathematical formulas? For example, when I tried to gain an understanding of the class assignments on the first day of class in my group, I could not keep up with the ideas my groups members presented regarding what formulas to use (room noise was a factor, but it was also difficult because I tend to learn more effectively when reading problems, writing notes, and practicing problems at my own pace). I just want to make sure I am following the course’s requirements correctly.

1 Like

I think the formulas of mathematics are general knowledge. The formula should inspire your code, the organization doesn’t want you to copy some other python code for your credit.

2 Likes

That is what I thought as well. It’s been a while since I’ve been in math courses. Every time I come across a problem involving math, I always want to know in advance what formula to use…But, even if a formula is not presented in problems, I will definitely work on practicing and remembering formulas. Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Using things like formulas is fine, and does not violate the policy. The intent of the policy is to ensure students are writing their own code, and arriving at their own solutions to the problems. We don’t expect people to have memorized things like math formulas.

1 Like