Best way to learn more about coding?

I finished this class and thought I would try HackerRank’s 30 days of coding. I am so lost. I have no idea how to properly code. I was able to follow the direction here and complete the class but don’t know enough coding to even begin their class. I did apply for the LC101 class but I am aware that it is difficult to be selected for the classes you offer. So what is the best way for me to learn more about coding?

1 Like

I just finished Codecademy’s “Learn Python” course, spent the $20 to get their additional projects and quizzes. I’m happy with the time & money spent on it. there were a few additional recommendations o discovery 6.2 page 3 but I haven’t looked into those yet.

2 Likes

Thank you Zburmaster!
I will check out Codecademy. I found a java for beginners and python for beginners on the Stepik site, where the LaunchCode class is. I’m going to try them out as well. I was curious about coding before taking discovery but am more interested now. : )

I agree with the previous poster that Codecademy is a great place to start after Discovery. It’s at the right level of difficulty, and continues into territory beyond what Discovery teaches.

The only other piece of advice I’d give is to stick with a single language for a while. Sometimes newer coders get curious about different languages and spend a lot of time bouncing between them, never learning any one very deeply. It’s best to get strong in one language before going on to learn another.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice Chris!
You guys are great at helping and giving advice here. I really appreciate that, thanks!

1 Like

I would remind downloading DCoder for practice writing code. The more you work with code, see it , write it you will get to know how to use it. This app has at least 12 different languages if not more.

Thanks kpointer1230! I appreciate the advice.

1 Like

No problem glad I could assist!! :grinning:

How I learned basic coding STUDY STUDY READ READ daily. I use all the resources I could get my hand… Is college algebra one of the tools you are familiar I think that it is a MUST… I used every application I could get my hands on. Play store Solo Learn, Code Academy, Tutorial points etc. There are many resources. I got in Launchcode online class and failed in the 4 week period… I study all the time 3/4 hours a day. It takes hard work, drive, consistency, discipline and I simply love a challenge.

2 Likes

There’s a great, and often offered on sale, course on Udemy – Java Puzzles to Eliminate Code Fear. It starts with basic videos on Java and then offers challenges comprised of concepts taught.

1 Like