Which course in Core coding skill that Launchcode recommend is the one I should start?

Hello everyone,

I’m new in Launchcode. I will start Data Science course in Jan 2020. I would like to prepare myself before the class start. I looked in Launchcode dashboard > My learning journey , under coding skill topic there is Core Coding skill milestone which recommend you to study basic programming. There are suggesting online course

• Intro to Computer Science (Udacity)
    Python-based introduction
  • Harvard’s CS50x (edX.org)
    Popular and challenging Harvard course, taught in C
  • MIT’s Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python (edX.org)
    Popular MIT course, taught in Python
  • Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python
    Interactive book teaching core programming concepts in Python

Which one you recommend for me who don’t have strong background on coding should study?

Thank you

I learned Python in Unit 1 of my LC101 course from the Think Like a Computer Scientist you referenced. I did have a computer science background, but I found the book amazing. I wish I had it when I was taking Intro to Programming. Its interactivity saves time and takes away one of the barriers: You don’t have to set up a development environment. You can practice right in the browser. (I don’t know if you will be learning Python in your class, but it may be useful in the Data Science field in general).

I also recommend CS50 Lectures 2018 videos on YouTube. Don’t get too deep into the C portion of it (some parts, like memory operations and pointers, are quite challenging and perhaps too low-level for Data Science). You will probably want to understand arrays and data structures in general. The Scratch portion is good if you have no computer science background. Python and SQL should be quite useful too (perhaps you can skip the Flask web development part).

Along the same lines, CS50 FOR LAWYERS 2019 should be useful too. I haven’t gotten far into it. I am suspecting it covers intoductory computer science topics from a higher level perspective.

Thank you so much. It is very helpful. I will look into what you recommend. :blush:

I really enjoyed Harvard’s CS50 lectures. The prof is very engaging. I watched all the videos on YouTube.

1 Like

Thank you so much :blush: